Year 1 Class Page
Welcome to Year 1
We Are The 'Busy Bees'
Meet Our Teacher
Our class teacher is Mrs Pow
Our teaching assistants are Mrs Laing
Our HLTA is Mrs Vennard
Year One begins the children's journey into Key Stage One, so it's a very important year! We do lots of hands on leaning through our inspiring and creative curriculum.
We look forward to sharing our new and exciting news with you about all the fantastic things that happen in our Year 1 class.
Here are a few things you might like to know about our year group:
- The Entertainers where we will learn about toys now and in the past.
- Take a Walk on the Wild Side where we will learn about life in Kenya.
- Dungeons and Dragons where we will learn all about Castles and the life of The Queen and The Royal Family.
- Weekly spellings tested every Monday.
- Maths and English task handed out on Friday, to be returned to school no later than the following Wednesday.
- Daily reading each child will change their reading books on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On the days when children do not change their books we encourage you to share discussions about the child's reading book to improve comprehension skills. You may want to use focused questions.
- Sometimes our homework will be a project such as a timeline, family tree,etc. Every project will be sent home instead of the weekly Maths and English tasks.
- PE is on a Tuesday please ensure your child comes to school wearing their PE kit. Remove all jewellery before PE lessons. Each child is expected to have a PE kit in line with the school uniform policy.
- Computing on a Monday with Mrs Jauncey.
- Daily Phonics lessons to help prepare the children for the Phonics Screening Check in June.
- Show and Tell on a Monday.
- Forest School will be happening after October half term and Outdoor Learning after February half term.
What will the children need in school?
- Everyday each child should bring to school their book bag containing their reading record and reading book. Books will be changed every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Please ensure your child reads to an adult every day.
- A bottle filled with a drink for lunch should be with each child every day.
- Each child should have a water bottle to be kept in school.
We hope you know a little more about Year One now. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to come and speak to the Year One staff after school.