Year 5 Class Page
Welcome to Year 5
Class Teacher - Miss Astill
Teaching Assistant - Mrs Goodwin
PPA Cover: Mrs Long
Welcome to the class page for Year 5, here you will find out some information about timetable and class expectations. Year 5 marks the beginning of UKS2, which means that you are nearing the end of your Primary school career! We will be learning about lots of exciting topics this year as we explore the English Civil War and then journey into space in our 'Battles and Beyond' theme. We will then discover the secrets of Mexico and Mayans in our ‘Mesoamerican Mysteries’ theme. Finally, we will travel back in time and ‘Voyage into the Valley of the Kings’ to learn all about life as an Egyptian!
I hope you will be happy in my class and I am looking forward to teaching you all again. Remember that if you are worried about anything, please come and see myself or Mrs Goodwin – We are here to help!
Enjoy the year!
For more information about our curriculum in Year 5, please see the 'Overview' link above.
In Year 5 you will receive the following homework, we expect all homework to be completed on time.
- Reading - This should continue at least 3 times a week and an adult should still be signing your reading record regularly. Year 5 staff will check reading records weekly to make sure it is happening.
- Times table practise – Please keep up with practising these to make sure you are secure with all times tables up to 12 x 12, fluent and fast!
- Target Maths book - This will be set on a Thursday and be due back in on the following Tuesday. Activities will be linked to what we have been learning in class that week.
- Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling book - This will be set on a Thursday and be due back in on the following Wednesday. Activities will be linked to what we have been learning in class that week.
- Spellings - These will be set on a Thursday and tested on the following Wednesday. Pupils have an orange homework book in which they need to write 5 sentences for their weekly words and hand in on a Wednesday.
- Occasionally, there will be projects set to complete linked to our theme in class. These will replace normal homework and the children will be given plenty of time to do them.
- PE: We have PE on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Please make sure your child's NAMED kit is in school and if they have long hair that it is tied back, or earrings are taken out or covered on those days.
- Pencil cases: Children will not need a pencil case for their work in Year 5. We have everything they need in class. If they have their own colouring pencils, they may bring them in to keep in their trays until needed.
- Forest school and Outdoor learning: Outdoor learning will take place in the first half of the spring term. Please make sure your child has wellies in school. Forest school will happen in the first half of the summer term, a letter will be sent out with more details on what clothing the children will need.
- Water bottles: Please ensure that your child brings a water bottle for the classroom, containing water only.